Shred Guitars  

Go Back   Shred Guitars > Other cool guitars & misc important things... > Beer

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
beer-a-day

Favorite Axe: Gibson Explorer, Edwards FV-140M
Favorite Strings: GHS 11-50, D'addario EXL115W
My Photos: (0)

he'brew genesis ale- a good standard american beer, in the vein of sam adams lager. nice hoppiness, again similar to sam. definitely worth buying for the name & bottle at least, haha. B+/A-

he'brew messiah bold- interesting mix of traditional brown ale flavors with an overall sweetness. the sweetness remains the most dominant flavor, really. strange, but good. B+/A-
Old 09-30-2009, 01:56 AM
beer-a-day

sierra nevada torpedo extra IPA- amazing. this may be my new favorite beer. its simultanesouly very hoppy but perfectly balanced, with piney yet sweet hops interacting with a full body and some maltiness to make it a real ballsy IPA. this beer renewed my faith in the sierra nevada brewing company. previously i had only tried their pale ale, which was far too "normal" for me, but because of this one i keep trying more and more of them. A+

sierra nevada 2009 anniversary ale- nice citrusey/piney hoppiness, but with a solid malt backbone. good on all bases. similar to the torpedo, but scaled back a bit. A

sierra nevada southern hemisphere harvest ale- very citrusey hops, making it nice and refreshing (though its hardly "light"). A-/B+

sierra nevada porter- for a company that i know best for its hoppy ales, they make a damn fine porter as well. never gets overbearing or really dry & burnt as some porters do, its somewhat creamy & bold, rich. if youre not used to porters, id say absolutely start here as its not too extreme as far as porters go. ill update this in a few days when im back at my ladyfriend's place and finish off the 6pack (its there). A-

paulaner oktoberfest marzen- delicious sweet maltiness, but never too sweet. it has some spice & hops to balance things out. a great classic malty german beer. A

bierra moretti- much lighter than i tend to like, but thats par for the course with italian beer. still pleasant and flavorful, and was great to wash down my cheesesteak. haha. B

hoppin' frog "boris the crusher" oatmeal/imperial stout- came highly recommended, but i was somewhat disappointed. it went the direction of a raisiney/fruity/sweet stout, which i dont like hardly as much as a smooth roasted creamy stout. B

hoppin' frog "mean manalishi" double IPA- very citrusey hops, nice piney bitterness, but not too extreme, none of the flavors are too over-the-top despite its "double IPA" status. A-/B+
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
beer-a-day

he'brew bittersweet lenny's R.I.P.A.- very rich raisin flavor, sweet hops, molasses-ey malt B+

samuel smith yorkshire stingo- good british malty ale, nice bit of toffee flavor A-

arrogant bastard ale- tons of hoppiness, but full and rich as advertised, its no beer for pussies A-/B+

ex-250 fucked with this message on : 10-14-2009 at 07:25 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 AM
beer-a-day

its been quite a while since ive updated this. had too many ive forgotten by now, so ill just go with some beers from this week....

sierra nevada celebration ale- has that classic sierra nevada hoppiness, perhaps a bit more on the citrus side than others, and with some interesting hints of spice that make it very entertaining. A

sierra nevada harvest wet hop ale, 13th release- kind of unusual for sierra nevada, its got some different character that i just cant put my finger on. perhaps its a bit of a belgian-style phenol flavor behind the grassy hops. its quite tasty though. just kept drinking and drinking it trying to place that aspect of the taste. haha. only complaint is that it isnt quite as bold as other sierra nevadas. B+/A-
Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Certified Fucking Rock Star

Favorite Axe: Kramer PCII
Favorite Strings: D'addario- 9's in E, 10's in D

Kickin' back with a 22oz of Cadillac Mt. Stout.
Stouts aren't really my thing, but it is growing on me
sip by sip. Sweeter than I'd expected. Chocolatey, kinda coffee
flavored. Anyway, it's a pretty highly regarded stout, made me think
of shred's resident beer geek.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
beer-a-day

nice. ill have to keep an eye out for that one
Old 07-08-2010, 05:51 PM
beer-a-day

yards philadelphia pale ale- really nice sweet/fruity hop flavor. great summer beer. A

stone levitation ale- balanced earthy/smokiness, mild underlying hops. B+
Old 07-10-2010, 05:51 PM
beer-a-day

sierra nevada pale ale- i first had it years ago and wasnt blown away, but had it again recently and fell in love. i think my problem before is i had it ice-cold, and it needs to warm up a little for the real flavor to come out. and when it does, its just delicious. crisp, refreshing, very flavorful and present hops. A

left hand 400 pound monkey- the name is just remarkable. the beer is alright. it has an odd mix of maltiness and bitterness to it, a strange combination of flavors overall. i just looked up some reviews of it to get my head around it a bit better, and someone described it as "bready," which i think hits it right on the head. B
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM
beer-a-day

yards IPA- great full flavor, deep and rich with nice citrus hops on top, at times the hops take on a nice fruit sweetness. interesting woody taste. when warmed slightly, the malt really comes out. A-/A
Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 PM
beer-a-day

rogue double chocolate stout- very smooth, rich chocolatey flavor. terrific. A

left hand twin sisters double IPA- nice hoppy taste, slightly bitter but balanced and never overbearing. a sweet hoppiness. A
Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
String Slingin' Shredaholic

Favorite Axe: ESP/LTD KH-602
Favorite Strings: 09-46 Light Top/Heavy bottom
My Mood:

This thread was pretty damn awesome. I'm more of a casual beer drinker and I prefer the more exotic beers (well, I've had nothing like what's been listed but I don't drink the normal American beers) so this was pretty damn helpful to me. I'll be checking out some of these when I get home. I used to have a pretty bad drinking problem (PTSD related) but I've been in control for a few years now, but I still like to pick up a six pack every couple months or so and enjoy a beer or two a night.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 PM
beer-a-day

good to know its helpful. its become more of a way to track my drinking, this way i dont forget what certain beers ive had are like.
aaaand for today...

sam adams latitude 48 IPA- rich, with a great bitter hoppiness. sometimes sam adams' more extraneous releases tend to be a little weird, but this one was extremely pleasing. A-/A

unibroue don de dieu- on the lighter side, but quite flavorful. caramel sweetness makes a nice counterbalance to the sour phenol. A
Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
ShredGuitars Mix-it Man

Favorite Axe: 83 Maple Pacer Special
Favorite Strings: XL.009
My Mood:

Pbr ftw
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
beer-a-day

unibroue ephemere- weird, but good. its brewed with applejuice and spices. lots of apple in the scent, but the taste is all herbal and spices. unusual, but definitely worth trying. B+

flyish fish double dog double IPA- bold, robust hoppiness. high hop content makes for a great balance of sugar sweetness and complex bitterness. A-
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
beer-a-day

left hand sawtooth ale- much more subtle than i expected, reminds me of an english ale. its got a smooth underlying malt with some buttery hints. B+/A-

dogfish head saison du buff- holy shit this is fantastic. its refreshing, very citrusey, quite unique. may not be for everyone, but i love it. A+

troegs dead reckoning porter- amazing. the unique hoppiness and smoothness combined with traditional porter roasted/earthy qualities are something ive never tasted before. its like somebody combined an IPA, a porter, and a guinness. an absolute winner. i could drink this till the end of time. A+